Here’s a “by the numbers” report of our participation in the AIDS Run & Walk in Chicago on October 3rd, 2009:
- 127 walkers for Team ABAM! (56 ABAM + 6 AGLO Chicago + 65 Queen of Peace High School)
- 23 residents or former residents on the team
- 2 trips, 3 phone calls, and 2 emails to sort out our team packet pickup
- 37 items on the checklist of supplies to bring
- 150 bagels donated by Einstein’s
- 3 tubs of cream cheese
- 2 cartons of coffee
- 45 degrees at 8 a.m. (brrr!)
- 500 (or so) event volunteers wearing the same color t-shirts as Team ABAM (oops)
- 5 kilometers (3.1 miles) walked or run along the lakefront
- 20 different groups of entertainers throughout the morning
- 3,000 (or more) total walkers – a 30% increase from last year!
- 0 inches of rain until it was all over (phew!)
- $15,000 raised to support our transformational mission!
Thanks to all who participated in this event by running, walking, volunteering, or donating! You can view some photos on our Facebook fan page. It was a huge success, and we hope to see you again next year.
Devon Parish is the Outreach Coordinator at Alexian Brothers AIDS Ministry. Her job is to bring folks into partnership with the organization through things like education, special events, and…blogging! She also loves music, dance, hot beverages and hikes of all varieties.